Stephanie Booth and I decided ages ago to do a podcast, just to talk about this, that and the other. It's taken us a while to get our act together, but eventually, last week, we turned on Skype and Call Recorder and we just, well, had a chat.
This is roughly what we talked about:
- San Francisco, web geek paradise
- City sizes (see this London-SF superimposition map)
- The cat/geek Venn diagram (Twitter error message)
- I really want a Wii
- IRC screen names
- The difficulties of pronouncing S-u-w
- When geeks name children: A unique identifier or anonymity?
- Stalkers and geoinformation
- Perceptions of security
- Giving out your phone number and address, and personal boundaries
- Airport security (background)
- Risk and expectations of risk
- Naming our podcast… something about blondes, apparently
- Clueless marketeering from the Fabric nightclub in London
- The repercussions of having a blog that people think is influential (even if you don't think it is)
Download the 16mb MP3. Read Steph's blog post about it.
So there we are. Not the slickest podcast around, but then, I don't like slick. What's the point of making a podcast sound like a radio show? We might look for some sort of intro/outro music but I've no interest in trying to be too polished.
We'll probably do a podcast every fortnight or so. What we'll talk about I don't know – I rather like keeping it flexible, so we can talk about whatever comes to mind without thinking 'Oh, that's not on-topic!'. Whether I'll continue to post them here, or on Strange Attractor also remains to be seen. I currently can't post anything to Corante anyway, because they are having significant problems with their installation of Movable Type (which should be renamed Immovable Shite, frankly. Six Apart should be ashamed of themselves.).
Anyway, enjoy! And let us know what you think.